Summer is in full swing, and many people have “getting healthier” on their to-do list this season. Restaurants have a great opportunity to help customers make healthy meal choices by offering options that are rich in nutrients while also satisfying those summer cravings.
Superfoods are nutrient-rich and provide antioxidants that detoxify your body. Learn how eight of our favorite superfoods can help you look and feel your healthiest during summer and all year round.
- Avocados are high in healthy fats. This low-carb snack can lower cholesterol, sharpen eyesight, help you lose weight, and fight arthritis and cancer.
- Berries such as strawberries and blueberries have been linked to slower rates of cognitive decline, while raspberries and blackberries are packed with vitamin C and fiber.
- Green salads build strong bones, sharpen your eyesight, protect your heart, and reduce your risk of diabetes and breast cancer.
- Nectarines build and maintain healthy skin and strong bones, and are packed with dietary fiber that keeps you feeling fuller longer.
- Nuts enhance heart health by reducing bad cholesterol. Portion control should be considered since nuts are a high-calorie snack.
- Tomatoes are a superfood that benefits the whole body including skin appearance, weight loss, and heart health.
- Watermelons boost hydration on hot summer days. This fruit also makes you feel fuller and can curb junk food cravings. As a bonus, watermelon can protect skin cells from sun damage.
- Zucchini is part of the summer squash family which reduces inflammation, improves heart health, lowers cholesterol, and aids in digestion.
Keep your summer menu fresh and healthy by incorporating these foods in your featured dishes. Individuals with chronic health conditions should consult their primary care physician if they are looking to create a meal plan to lower their risk factors.
John E. Aoki, M.D., CHCQM, FABQAURP
Chief Medical Officer
Brought to you by HMAA, where we’re passionate about your health. To find out more about HMAA’s health plans, visit hmaa.com or contact our Account Management Department. For information on our menu of wellness services, please contact Naomi Azama at (808) 791-7607 or email@example.com.