February is American Heart Month – a great time for committing to healthy lifestyle changes that can impact your heart health. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S. for both men and women, but the good news is it’s also one of the most preventable.
According to the CDC, one of every four deaths is caused by heart disease. Each year, heart disease is attributed to more than 610,000 deaths, and 22% of deaths among Pacific Islanders. The American Heart Association estimates these conditions cost the U.S. roughly $555 billion per year in healthcare services, medications, and lost productivity; by 2035, it expects the cost to jump to $1.1 trillion.
Many forms of heart disease can be prevented or managed with a healthy lifestyle. Some things you can do to help prevent heart disease include:
- Know your family heart history
- Eat a healthy diet
- Get plenty of exercise
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Stop smoking
- Don’t drink alcohol in excess
- Have your blood pressure and cholesterol levels checked annually
- Be compliant with medications for conditions like hypertension, high cholesterol, and diabetes to prevent progression to more serious heart conditions
Restaurants can join the effort in preventing heart disease by promoting healthy meal options. Here are some recommendations you can consider:
- Recommend lunch portion sizes when available
- Offer plates that are packed with fruits and vegetables
- Indicate menu items that use whole grains
- Offer low-fat and low-salt options
- Provide a heart-healthy menu section with new options and/or healthier versions of items already on your menu
We invite you to take a stand against heart disease by promoting heart health in your restaurant!
John E. Aoki, M.D., CHCQM, FABQAURP
Chief Medical Officer
Brought to you by HMAA, where we’re passionate about your health. To find out more about HMAA’s health plans,
visit hmaa.com or contact our Customer Service Center.
For information about our menu of wellness services, please contact Naomi Azama at (808) 791-7607 or firstname.lastname@example.org.